Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Riding Rose...

Our great neighbors, Doug and Carol Patterson, invited us over to ride Rose, one of their beautiful Bay horses. Garrett's off to Bishopric meetings, so with carrots in hand, the kids and I walked over to their stables. Rose was such a trooper with four kids and one mom riding her around the pasture in the summer rain...even amid the wind and rain my kids would have ridden all night long, well, at least three of them.
With the rain continuing to come down, Carol ran inside and grabbed hats and coats for the kids - these summer storms have been so abundant lately, but, at least there was no thunder and lightening!
Ashlyn was the first to jump on and ride like the champion she is...her fearlessness is definitely one of her strengths, but also worries me at times.
Colter hopped on next and loved every second...he would have ridden Rose all night long if I would have let him. Lately, he wears his shooting glasses everywhere he goes...what a stud!
Wyatt couldn't wait to see the horses, but only wanted to sit on her until he got into the saddle...then he wouldn't let go. He was all smiles and I, a little bit nervous watching my baby ride around on a 1,300 lb horse...so I only let him go around once. McKenna was a little more leery and cautious than the others - that's just her nature and I love that about her. She hung by my side, until she was ready to try. Doug helped her up and she was brave enough to sit up in the saddle, but not yet ready to ride and fully let go of me...I'm ok with that - soon enough she'll want to let go and I don't know I'll be ready to let go. Doug noticed her courage and told her horses just aren't for everyone...I love that he made her feel ok about not riding this time.
I jumped up on Rose and rode around, too. I think watching me helped McKenna realize she could do it...as we were leaving she said she would try next time - good for her! By the time it was too dark to ride, Rose was ready to be done and we were all drenched...but happy! It's great to see my kids personalities develop and evolve, and to see their loves and passions ignited. We have been blessed with great kids!