Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Remembering with White Balloons...

Today marks six months since William's birth and his return to our Heavenly Father...after building 20 marshmallow shooters with grandpa Nichol's help for Ashlyn's upcoming economics fair, we drove through the pounding rain to the cemetery to spend a few moments talking about what William's favorite color might be and what things he might like to do. The kids thought maybe his favorite color would be blue...so, we left a little blue balloon where his body lies and then sent off 4 white balloons into the sky.
This past week I've been transcribing the talks and prayers from the funeral for Whitney to read...it's been a tremendous blessing to be reminded of that sacred time in our lives. Visiting William tonight, Colter wondered how old William would be when we meet him again...I was reminded of the talk given by William's grandpa Theodore at his funeral. He mentioned that the Prophet Joseph Smith taught that the Lord takes many away, even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of men and the sorrows of evils of this present world. These children were too pure and too lovely to live on the earth. He also taught that an infant would be resurrected as a child, giving a righteous mother an opportunity to raise her child in the heavenly realm. That knowledge brings great peace and helped me explain to my kids part of the great plan our Heavenly Father has in place for us...what a glorious reunion that will be when we get to see and know William again.I would like to think that what Joseph Smith said also can apply to those who are taken in their prime...they have fulfilled their test and are too pure to live on this earth with what is prophesied to come. It's been a heartbreaking few weeks for our ward...only 8 months ago, Patti and Scott moved into our ward so they could be closer to their married children and grandchildren. Patti is truly one of the most genuine and Christ like women I have known. There are certain people that can light up any room -that is her, and Scott is a perfect example of humility and reverence.Patti has been sick for a few months now and last week, while in ICU, she was put into a coma for her body to rest from constant seizures. The doctors were frantic to figure out what was wrong, even amid many tests, nothing could be detected. They determined they needed to test her for the human form of 'mad cow disease'...the results came back last week and confirmed she does have the disease. The diagnosis is devastating...there is no hope she will live. It's hard to watch someone who was so vibrant and full of life, just a few weeks earlier, to be so still...it's been heartbreaking and yet, a blessing in my life, to watch her husband and her youngest, Mike, love her and touch her tenderly.Today, as a R.S. presidency we were able to meet their daughter, Kelli, who also lives in our stake...the minute I saw Kelli, I genuinely and instantly loved her. To me, that is a testimony that our Heavenly Father wants and needs us to take care of each other. I feel blessed to have made another friend today...someone I hope will be a new part of my life.My heart aches when I think of Patti, yet when I am in her presence there is an undeniable peace. She will be missed, but she will also have an incredible reunion when she returns home...she is the kind of woman the Lord needs on the other side of the veil. She is one-of-a-kind. She has reinforced in me the kind of mother and friend I want to be...I loved watching her youngest son, Michael, come into the Relief Society room after church had ended, just to be by his mom's side...that one small act showed me the kind of mom she was. As I've met friends of Patti's and other family members, it's easy to see that everyone cherished her!I feel so blessed to have known her. I feel blessed to have, in my life, women who hold their torches high, women who are valiant, women who are examples of Christ. Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. I hope I am prepared so that when my trial comes I will be able to endure with pure and unwavering faith.