Sunday, June 28, 2009

An Unlocked Door...

Last month our family had the opportunity to clean the church house. My kids really, really love the chance we get as members of our ward to work together as a family cleaning the church.On this particular evening, as we were wrapping things up and heading out the doors on the South side, I overheard Colter say something to Garrett and then start down the hall to the other side of the building. Earlier, Garrett and Colter had been around the whole building to make sure all the doors were locked, then Colter had a distinct impression that one of the doors had been missed on the North side by the other Bishop's office. He told dad what he felt. Garrett's first impression was to just tell him that he was sure they were all locked, but then felt prompted to have him go and check...he listened, too. All the while, Garrett silently prayed that the door would somehow be unlocked so he could have a teaching moment with Colter and talk with him about the importance of immediately following the promptings we receive...when Colter checked the door, it was unlocked...there was no possible way, except through the Lord.Garrett spent the next few minutes teaching our young son. I know it had an impact on Colter, but I think the greater impact was had on Garrett...to this day he still gets choked up when he tells of this sacred experience of teaching his young, impressionable son an important lesson about the Spirit. I know Heavenly Father answers our prayers...I see it and I feel it.